If you’re looking for a delicious and easy-to-make dinner, look no further than this Cajun Chicken Alfredo pasta. This dish combines the creamy goodness of Alfredo sauce with the bold and spicy flavors of Cajun seasoning. Top with tender and crispy chicken breast, and you’ll have a meal that is both hearty and flavorful.
Cajun pasta is a delicious and satisfying dish that combines the perfect elements of pasta, spice and chicken. It is a perfect dish for a cozy night in or for entertaining guests. If you’re looking for another pasta dish to try, try this Vodka Pasta recipe (without the vodka).
Why I Love This Dish, and You Will Too:
First of all, who doesn’t love creamy and dreamy pasta? Second of all, It’s so easy to put together. If you want to skip making the chicken, you could use frozen chicken tenders with some extra added cajun spices.
You could also cut the chicken and toss it with the pasta instead of keeping it on top. Also, you could season the chicken with the same spices without dipping it in breadcrumbs or eggs for a grilled-like chicken.
You could also easily switch out the cajun seasoning with some salt and not use fire roasted tomatoes to have some non-spicy pasta. I’m a big fan of having a spicy kick, so I wouldn’t personally do so.
Try adding some corn or broccoli cut into little florets to add some more variety of vegetables! At the end of the day, do whatever works best for you and your family’s taste buds. I won’t be offended, I promise.
What is Cajun Alfredo Pasta?
Cajun pasta with chicken is a delicious and hearty dish that combines the flavors of Cajun seasoning, tender chicken, and creamy alfredo sauce. This popular dish is a perfect option for a quick and easy weeknight dinner, or for entertaining guests on a special occasion.
In this recipe blog post, I will show and explore the history and ingredients of Cajun Chicken Alfredo and share a recipe that you can easily make at home.
Popular culinary techniques like cajun cuisine have their roots in Louisiana, USA. It is a combination of long-established French, African, and Native American culinary traditions. Cajun spice is a vital component in many recipes, and the cuisine is renowned for its fiery and savory foods.
Yet Alfredo sauce, a creamy pasta sauce with Italian roots, is the opposite. Usually served over spaghetti pasta, the sauce is created with butter, cream, and Parmesan cheese.
Cajun Chicken Alfredo is a modern fusion dish that combines the flavors of Cajun seasoning with the creamy and delicious goodness of alfredo sauce. Although not being a typical Cajun or Italian meal, the dish has gained popularity in many restaurants and homes throughout the globe.
What’s in Cajun Seasoning?
Cajun seasoning is easy to come by at any grocery store here in the U.S. However, if you’re still adamant about mixing your own, then you’re going to need the following seasonings: Smoked paprika (or you can use normal paprika, I prefer the first), garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, dried oregano, dried thyme, some ground white pepper, and cayenne, for the spicy kick. You could also substitute the dried oregano and thyme with premixed Italian seasoning.
Tips and Tricks
Before breading the chicken breasts, let the chicken sit in the marinade for at least 30 minutes to infuse the flavors.
For extra crunch and flavor, toast the Italian-style breadcrumbs in a skillet with a little butter or oil until they turn golden brown to add a nutty taste to the crispy chicken.
If you like it spicier, add a pinch of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to the seasoning mix.
For a smoky flavor, consider roasting the red and green bell peppers before adding them to the dish by placing the peppers under a broiler or on a grill until the skin is charred. Let them cool, then peel off the skin and dice the roasted peppers before adding them to the sauce.
To brighten the flavors of the dish, sprinkle some fresh herbs like chopped parsley or cilantro over the finished Cajun Chicken Alfredo Pasta.
Consider serving the Cajun Chicken Alfredo Pasta with a fresh side salad or some garlic bread to complement the flavors and add variety to the meal.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Cajun flavors are spicy while Alfredo is a more simple dish of butter, cream, parmesan cheese and pasta.
Yes! You can absolutely change up the protein of your choice. You could also make it without the protein to make it just a plain pasta or vegetarian pasta.
You can make your own Cajun spice blend or just use a store bought one like I did. I used the Slap Ya Mama brand.
Red bell pepper
Green bell pepper
Fire roasted tomatoes
Shredded parmesan cheese
Shredded mozzarella cheese
For The Crispy Chicken
Oil or butter
For the Wet Mix:
Salt and pepper
How To make Cajun Chicken Alfredo Pasta
First, start by cooking your fettuccine pasta according to package instructions.
Then, add butter and olive oil to a pot. Let the butter melt and the olive oil heat up.
Next, add in the finely chopped onions and peppers. Sauté those until they’re soft and fragrant, about 5-10 minutes.
Afterward, add in the minced garlic. Sauté for another 5 minutes until the garlic gets fragrant and the vegetables are thoroughly mixed together.
Following that, if you’re using fire roasted tomatoes, add them here.
Meanwhile, add the heavy cream and all of the seasonings. Mix together well.
After that, add all the mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Mix together well until both cheeses are fully melted.
Finally, add in the cooked pasta and toss together well.
For the chicken, slice the chicken in half lengthwise to make two thin pieces.
Now, mix the breadcrumbs and seasonings together.
Next, whisk the eggs, paprika, salt and pepper together.
Afterward, dip each side of each chicken piece into the egg mixture, then into the dry mixture.
Finally, cook in a pan with some butter or oil, until crispy.
Other Recipes You Must Try
Cajun Chicken Alfredo Pasta
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- ½ red bell pepper cut into small cubes
- ½ green bell pepper cut into small cubes
- 3 tablespoons fire roasted tomatoes with chillis from a can, optional
- ¾ pound fettuccine pasta cooked according to package instructions
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning I used Slap Ya Mama
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 cups heavy cream
For The Crispy Chicken
- 2 chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise to make two thin pieces
- 2 cups panko Italian style breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon cajun seasoning I used Slap Ya Mama
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons oil or butter
For the Wet Mix:
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon salt and pepper or to taste
- To start, cook your pasta according to package instructions and set aside.
- Slice the chicken breast in half. Mix the panko breadcrumbs with the seasonings and set aside.
- Mix the wet mixture ingredients together making sure the eggs are whisked well.
- Dip each slice of chicken breast in the wet mixture, then dip into the breadcrumbs on both sides. Add to a pan with either 2 tablespoons of butter or two tablespoons of oil on medium-high heat. Cook until the chicken turns golden, about 10 minutes, flipping it halfway. Set aside to rest before slicing.
- In a pot, melt the 3 tablespoons of butter and add the tablespoon of olive oil. Add the chopped onions and sauté until softened. Add the minced garlic and chopped bell peppers and sauté until soft and fragrant. Add the cream along with the seasonings and mix. Let it start bubbling and thickening before adding in the cheese and mixing. Once mixed, add in the fettuccine and toss together. Cook for another 5 minutes before removing and serving.